Subject: Re: Debugger (question to Acid Software)
From: Martin Kift <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 7 Jul 1994 13:57:34 +0300

> Ya hello Martin,
hi 8)

> Debugger bad on accelerators?
Very bad.

> Any points in particular? 

Well, recently (about a month ago), I started getting errors when 
examining variables. Sometimes it would work fine, sometimes when I 
asked to see an existing variable, it would say 'cannot create in 
direct mode', even tho the variable definitely exists!

Also, when my program reached a certain size I think (although I may 
be wrong in that), when running my game in debugging mode, the game 
crashes at random intervals, usually no more than 30 secs after it 
starts. No feedback at all, it simply crashes my machine. 
Of course, my game runs fine in non-debug mode (not a single crash), 
but as soon as I switch to debug mode, random crashes.

> Unlk A4 is not reliable so if you have any assembler you need to stick 
> runerrsoff and runerrson (cniffed of course for only when you want 
> runtime errors) around the statements in question. 

I read in bum6 that unlnk a4 statements should be placed at the end 
of asm statements/functions. Is this still correct? 

> We had an asshole of a 
> job finishing SkidMarks cos me and Andrew hadn't figured it out..

I can believe it 8) Is SkidMarks being updated at all. I wish for 
greater computer intelligence, since I have yet to lose a match 
against the computer, and I usually lap them once or twice (they are 
aweful drivers) 8^)

> Oh and soundfx, apparently Roger has added a cacheofff command so that is 
> apparently a rude fix for the sound library, I hope to publish the source 
> code to the sound lib plus an explanation of how you drive interupts from 
> libraries in bum7

Very nice. Is this sound patch a small thing? You see, I'm releasing 
my game in the next couple of days. Is it possible for me to make 
this patch myself, since the sound bug takes a lot of gloss off my 
game.

Cheers

+---------------------------------+---------------------------------------+
| Martin Kift                     |   Software developer (C/C++/OWL/MFC)  |
| Email: [email-masked]   |   Procede Software Ltd., UK.          |
+---------------------------------+---------------------------------------+
| Formula One GrandPrix amiga internet champion for 1994.                 |
+---------------------------------+---------------------------------------+